Can CBD Help Seniors?
Common CBD Benefits for Seniors
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a chemical compound found in the cannabis plant. It is one of the many cannabinoids found in cannabis and has been studied for a variety of potential health benefits. Some people may use CBD to manage certain medical conditions or symptoms, including those that are common in older adults.
Here are a few ways that CBD may be helpful for older adults:
- Pain management: Some seniors have pain so severe that over-the-counter drugs and prescription medications can’t always cure their maladies. So sometimes they turn to medical marijuana out of desperation and find positive results. Studies have suggested that CBD may be helpful for managing pain, including chronic pain. Chronic pain is a common issue among older adults and can be caused by a variety of conditions, including arthritis, cancer, and neuropathy.
- Sleep: CBD may be helpful for improving sleep quality, which is important for overall health and well-being. Older adults may have difficulty sleeping due to a variety of factors, including chronic pain, anxiety, and sleep disorders.
- Anxiety and depression: Some studies have suggested that CBD may be helpful for managing anxiety and depression, which are common among older adults. Anxiety and depression can have a significant impact on quality of life and may be treated with a variety of therapies, including medications and therapy.
- Inflammation: CBD may have anti-inflammatory effects, which may be helpful for managing inflammation-related conditions, such as arthritis.
- Cancer: So far, there aren’t many studies that show CBD carries properties that can help alleviate cancer symptoms. Instead, cannabinoids overall show promising therapeutic effects to help modulate tumor growth and relieve symptoms such as appetite, weight loss, and pain. It’s unclear if these possible benefits are the cause of a variety of cannabinoids or only certain molecules, such as THC.
Why Are Seniors Turning to Cannabis?
The trend among seniors using medical marijuana has been on the rise since 2007, with adults over the age of 65 experiencing a tenfold increase in cannabis use.
We’ve discussed the many reasons why medical marijuana can be beneficial to seniors because of their health. But the overwhelming reason for seniors to turn to using CBD is that it’s safer and more cost effective. As we’ve discussed earlier, medical marijuana is often a safer alternative to many prescription drugs like opioids and antipsychotics, and has with far fewer severe side effects. It can also be more cost efficient, too. A senior spends on average close to $3,000 per year on prescription drugs alone. Contrast that with the national average of how much a person spends on medical marijuana per year—about $650—and you have a more cost-effective option, too.
It is important to note that the effectiveness of CBD for managing various medical conditions or symptoms may vary from person to person. It is also important to consult with a healthcare provider before using CBD to treat any condition, as it may interact with other medications or have potential side effects. In addition, the legal status of CBD varies by state and it is important to understand the laws in the state where you live before using CBD.
Curious to learn more about medical cannabis or to start your medical marijuana treatment? Give the qualified team at Affordable Marijuana Clinic a call at (904) 586-0041 or submit a short application today!
JOIN OUR GROWING COMMUNITY
To stay up-to-date with the latest studies and legal regulations surrounding medical marijuana treatment, be sure to follow Affordable Marijuana License on Facebook and sign up for our newsletter, below!